Since I’m a list person that (sometimes) goes against the grain, here’s a short-ish list of not-so-deep things that people do that drive me crazy (I have lists of other personal pet peeves (light shining in from curtains/blinds, clutter, long nails) and deep dislikes (disrespect, lack of motivation/initiation, willful misleading) that I’ll save for another time).
Warning: some prevention suggestions are more anecdotal than advisory, some more humorously based off reality, and some may be judged as inappropriate, passive aggressive, and/or offensive. Please read/follow with caution.
- lack of eye contact (adults who know better) – add in uncomfortably long pauses until they look at me, then immediately resume talking as if the uncomfortably long pause didn’t even exist
- too much eye contact (i.e. staring) – stare back until they look away
- leaving stuff (toys, clothes, etc.) all over the floor – randomly start counting down out loud (10, 9, 8…) then announce that time’s up and start gathering and tossing (into the garbage can) items left on the floor
- stepping over said stuff (see above) on the floor – (see above)
- when laundry is thrown on or near the hamper (vs. in) – leave it there unwashed and dirty…they’ll either get the hint or eventually run out of clean clothes